Briefly World: US defence pick Hagel faces fierce critics at hearing
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
US defence pick Hagel faces fierce critics at hearing
WASHINGTON: President Barack Obama's nominee for defence secretary said Thursday he would not hesitate to use the "full force of the US military" as he plunged into a Senate confirmation fight with critics from his own Republican Party, who worry that his past statements about Israel, Iran and nuclear weapons are signs of weakness.
US navy to scrap vessel stuck on coral reef
MANILA: The US navy has decided to scrap the $277 million minesweeper stuck on an environmentally-sensitive Philippine reef, a spokesman said Thursday, while Philippine officials examined potential legal violations and fines to be levied against the United States.
China convicts Tibetan monk over immolation
Beijing: Blaming the "Dalai Lama clique" for recurring self-immolations in Tibet, China Thursday handed down a suspended death sentence to a Tibetan Buddhist monk Lorang Konchok and convicted seven others for inciting people to set themselves on fire to protest harsh Chinese rule.
Roadside bomb kills 2 Pak polio workers
PARACHINAR: A roadside bomb killed two Pakistani polio workers, both men, on their way to vaccinate children in a northwestern tribal region near the Afghan border on Thursday, an official said.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties