Briefly World: US doctor abducted by Taliban rescued in Afghanistan
- Supreme Court stays release of Rajiv Gandhi killers after Centre opposes Jayalalithaa's decision
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case forces adjournment of Parliament
- Facebook to acquire WhatsApp for USD 19 billion in cash and stock deal
- Congâs first casualty of Telangana Bill: Its govt and Chief Minister in Andhra
- Hazare snubs Kejriwal, declares support to Mamata in LS elections
US doctor abducted by Taliban rescued in Afghanistan
KABUL: An American doctor kidnapped by the Taliban was rescued Sunday by Afghan and coalition forces in eastern Afghanistan, officials said. At least six people were killed and two Taliban leaders were arrested during the rescue. The American, Dr Dilip Joseph, and two Afghan doctors were abducted Wednesday in Sorobi district of east Afghanistan.
Pak cops kill man in 'fake' encounter: TV footage
Lahore: Pakistani news channels have beamed footage from closed-circuit TV cameras that purportedly show a young man being killed by police in a fake gun battle here. The footage, aired Saturday night on several channels, showed a young man running and several armed policemen first shooting him and then placing a pistol near his body to back up their claim of a shootout. A departmental inquiry has been announced.
Syria's civil war spills into Lebanon, 4 killed
beirut: Syria's civil war spilled into neighbouring Lebanon once again on Sunday, with gun battles between supporters and opponents of President Bashar Assad's regime in the northern city of Tripoli leaving four people dead and 12 wounded. Nine Syrian judges and prosecutors also defected to the opposition.
Iran launches own 'YouTube' website: TV
Tehran: Iran has launched its own
video-sharing website to compete with Google's popular YouTube whose content is deemed inappropriate by the Islamic regime, the state television reported Sunday. The website (http://www.mehr.ir) aims to promote Iranian culture.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state