Brinda Karat praises Jayalalthaa's stand on FDI
- Pakistan court declares 26/11 accused Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's detention void
- Chairs broken, MLAs faint in Kerala Assembly as Finance Minister KM Mani presents budget
- ‘Love jihad’ gets a Bengal reply: Bahu lao, Beti bachao, ‘purify’ Muslim brides
- Kolkata Park Street rape victim dies
- LIVE: PM Modi arrives in Sri Lanka; assures visa on arrival for Lankan nationals
CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat has praised Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK leader Jayalalithaa for her consistent opposition to FDI in retail.
"The CPI(M) appreciates the chief minister's consistent stand in opposing FDI in retail," she said.
She also lambasted UPA constituent DMK for supporting the FDI bill and alleged it had adopted a dual stand on the issue as the party was among 14 others which initially opposed it.
"If even parties who had opposed FDI within UPA and outside and later supported it, then it is the "magic wand" of the Congress party, which could be CBI," she said at a public rally late last night.
Karat said the party would stage nationwide agitations against FDI in all cities and not allow the UPA government to sell the interests of the people in the name of economic reforms.
On government's claim that four crore jobs would be created with the entry of FDI, she said for every one job created, seven jobs would be lost. Even the European Union had a bitter experience with Walmart, she said.