Brisbane nightclub faces online backlash for promoting sexist cocktail names
- Mann Ki Baat: Every life lost in Kashmir is a loss to our nation, says PM Narendra Modi
- Our collective mistakes, mishandling, have pushed Kashmir youth to violence: Omar Abdullah
- Kashmir violence: 'Alternative' to pellets already in use, says CRPF affidavit
- ISRO successfully test launches scramjet engine from Sriharikota
- Sri Lanka: Still Counting the Wounds
A Brisbane nightclub is at the centre of a social media storm for promoting drinks with sexist names.
Spectrum Daiquiri Bar in Fortitude Valley has earned condemnation for naming two of its cocktails Winey Bitch and Red-Headed Slut.
The club has attracted thousands of complaints on Facebook and Twitter in the past three days, with the overwhelming majority attacking the owners for alleged misogyny, the Courier Mail reports.
"As if Fortitude Valley wasn''t tacky or dangerous enough. These names demean women in an area where drinking and violence go hand in hand," Liz Catt posted.
"Bravo, Spectrum. In a country where alcohol is a major factor in both domestic violence and sexual assault, you manage to combine them all in your drink names," Nicole Jameson said.
Dr Deborah Walsh of the University of Queensland''s School of Social Work and Human Services said she was encouraged by the condemnation of the bar, the report said.
- Dalits are angry about the hollowness of the current hyper-nationalism
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s slogan of 'insaniyat, Kashmiriat' has no meaning today
- Kejriwal’s attention is fixed on winning the Centre rather than making mohallas run better
- Inside Track: Turf tussle
- In Kashmir, so-called solutions are riddled with contradictions and divisions
- Why personal, social and political self-identification of Dalits must count more than legal nomenclature.