Brisbane nightclub faces online backlash for promoting sexist cocktail names
- Lakhvi's release: PM Modi conveys India's concerns to China
- Modi must do to Raje, Swaraj what we did to Tomar: Arvind Kejriwal
- AIPMT test to be re-conducted on July 25: CBSE
- Palamu Express derails following blast by suspected Maoists in Jharkhand
- All Income Tax refunds to be put directly in bank accounts: CBDT
A Brisbane nightclub is at the centre of a social media storm for promoting drinks with sexist names.
Spectrum Daiquiri Bar in Fortitude Valley has earned condemnation for naming two of its cocktails Winey Bitch and Red-Headed Slut.
The club has attracted thousands of complaints on Facebook and Twitter in the past three days, with the overwhelming majority attacking the owners for alleged misogyny, the Courier Mail reports.
"As if Fortitude Valley wasn''t tacky or dangerous enough. These names demean women in an area where drinking and violence go hand in hand," Liz Catt posted.
"Bravo, Spectrum. In a country where alcohol is a major factor in both domestic violence and sexual assault, you manage to combine them all in your drink names," Nicole Jameson said.
Dr Deborah Walsh of the University of Queensland''s School of Social Work and Human Services said she was encouraged by the condemnation of the bar, the report said.
In a statement, Spectrum''s owners said they were reviewing the names and descriptions of the drinks, with a decision to be made in due course, it added.