BSP leader shot dead in Pratapgarh
- Aam Aadmi Party expels Yogendra Yadav, Prashant Bhushan and 2 others for 'anti-party' activities
- Rahul says Modi ignoring farmers, govt replies you looted them for 10 years
- Govt to give befitting reply to Hafiz Saeed's threat: Rijiju
- Would not be bad if we fulfill 50 percent promises: Arvind Kejriwal
- 'China wants to promote Indo-Pak peace talks amid Xi's visit'
A local BSP leader and former nagar panchayat chairman of Pratapgarh was shot dead by unidentified assailants in City Kotwali police station area on Thursday night.
Pratapgarh Superintendent of Police Anil Kumar Rai said that Ashok Kumar Maurya (45) was shot when returning home from a wedding around 11.30 pm, but the family informed the police Friday morning at 9. BSP workers held a demonstration to demand the arrest of the killers. Rai said that the motive behind the killing is not known, nor had Maurya's family named any suspects.
He said Maurya was riding a motorcylce along with his son Deepu and his friend. When they reached Teuan locality, two youths riding a motorcycle shot at Maurya from a very close range and drove away.
Maurya suffered a bullet injury on his back. Deepu told the police that they took Maurya to the district hospital from where he was shifted to Allahabad, but he died on the way.
The SP said that Maurya arrested and sent to jail for allegedly indulging in violence during the panchayat election last year. Besides, four criminal cases were pending against him, he added.
The body was brought to Pratapgarh around 3.30 am, but the family did not inform the police until morning, said the SP. Maurya's son said they were in a state of shock and informed the police after relatives arrived.