BSP leader shot dead in Pratapgarh
- JD(U) rules out tie-up, Lalu starts own campaign, clock ticks down for Congress
- Judge among 11 dead in Pakistan court in alleged suicide attack
- In UP, Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Rahul Gandhi's ordinance shortcut loses way
- Vigilance complaints pile up as Delhi Police doesnât know password
A local BSP leader and former nagar panchayat chairman of Pratapgarh was shot dead by unidentified assailants in City Kotwali police station area on Thursday night.
Pratapgarh Superintendent of Police Anil Kumar Rai said that Ashok Kumar Maurya (45) was shot when returning home from a wedding around 11.30 pm, but the family informed the police Friday morning at 9. BSP workers held a demonstration to demand the arrest of the killers. Rai said that the motive behind the killing is not known, nor had Maurya's family named any suspects.
He said Maurya was riding a motorcylce along with his son Deepu and his friend. When they reached Teuan locality, two youths riding a motorcycle shot at Maurya from a very close range and drove away.
Deepu told the police that they took Maurya to the district hospital from where he was shifted to Allahabad, but he died on the way.
The SP said that Maurya was arrested and sent to jail for allegedly indulging in violence during the panchayat election last year. Besides, four criminal cases were pending against him, he added.
The body was brought to Pratapgarh around 3.30 am, but the family did not inform the police until morning, said the SP. Maurya's son said they were in a state of shock and informed the police after relatives arrived.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today
- Won’t return to NDA even if Narendra Modi is not PM candidate: JD(U)