BSP MPís son joins SP
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Naheed Munawwar, who is the son of BSP MP Tabassum Hasan from Kairana, joined the Samajwadi Party in Delhi on Monday. Large number of Naheed's supporters too joined the party.
Naheed's father Late Choudhary Munawwar Hasan was an MP and had died in a road accident in 2008. He was given BSP ticket for the Assembly election from Gangoh in Saharanpur, but it was cancelled after his name figured in a sting operation by a TV channel. Naheed, however, contested as an Independent.
The seat was eventually won by Congress candidate Pradeep Kumar.
Naheed's father was a senior leader of the Samajwadi Party in Muzaffarnagar. He had won two Lok Sabha elections on SP ticket, was MLA twice, a member of the Rajya Sabha and also the Vidhan Parishad. He crossed over to the BSP during the trust vote against the UPA government on the issue of India-US nuclear deal on July 22, 2008.