BSP MPís son joins SP
- Yadav, Bhushan wanted party's defeat in Delhi polls, allege AAP leaders
- Chhattisgarh PDS rice scam: probe widens as police find a list with names, alleged bribes
- Land bill on table, government tells opposition willing to make changes
- His last detention against norms, red flag pre-dated Mufti govt
- Assam MLA claims he warned cops before Dimapur lynching
Naheed Munawwar, who is the son of BSP MP Tabassum Hasan from Kairana, joined the Samajwadi Party in Delhi on Monday. Large number of Naheed's supporters too joined the party.
Naheed's father Late Choudhary Munawwar Hasan was an MP and had died in a road accident in 2008. He was given BSP ticket for the Assembly election from Gangoh in Saharanpur, but it was cancelled after his name figured in a sting operation by a TV channel. Naheed, however, contested as an Independent.
The seat was eventually won by Congress candidate Pradeep Kumar.
Naheed's father was a senior leader of the Samajwadi Party in Muzaffarnagar. He had won two Lok Sabha elections on SP ticket, was MLA twice, a member of the Rajya Sabha and also the Vidhan Parishad. He crossed over to the BSP during the trust vote against the UPA government on the issue of India-US nuclear deal on July 22, 2008.