BSP MPís son joins SP
- L-G Najeeb Jung's 'I am the govt' remark laughable, acting at PM's behest: Arvind Kejriwal
- Robert Vadra's Facebook post triggers BJP, Congress clash; House adjourned
- Scolded by Sonia, Shashi Tharoor gets praise from PM Modi
- RK Pachauri asked to step down, Ajay Mathur is new TERI chief
- PM's credibility declining, no discussion until Sushma steps down: Rahul
Naheed Munawwar, who is the son of BSP MP Tabassum Hasan from Kairana, joined the Samajwadi Party in Delhi on Monday. Large number of Naheed's supporters too joined the party.
Naheed's father Late Choudhary Munawwar Hasan was an MP and had died in a road accident in 2008. He was given BSP ticket for the Assembly election from Gangoh in Saharanpur, but it was cancelled after his name figured in a sting operation by a TV channel. Naheed, however, contested as an Independent.
The seat was eventually won by Congress candidate Pradeep Kumar.
Naheed's father was a senior leader of the Samajwadi Party in Muzaffarnagar. He had won two Lok Sabha elections on SP ticket, was MLA twice, a member of the Rajya Sabha and also the Vidhan Parishad. He crossed over to the BSP during the trust vote against the UPA government on the issue of India-US nuclear deal on July 22, 2008.