BSP pulls out Dhananjay Singh from LS fray
- Indian Mujahideen Indian commander Tehseen Akhtar arrested, India calls it a 'huge success against terror'
- Sealed envelope contains 'serious allegations', Srinivasan must step down for fair probe, says SC
- After eggs, ink thrown at Arvind Kejriwal in Varansi
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 ended in the Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: DMK expels Alagiri; eggs, ink thrown at Kejriwal in Varanasi
BSP Saturday dropped its sitting MP Dhananjay Singh, currently lodged in Tihar jail, as its candidate from the Jaunpur parliamentary seat. He was replaced by Subhash Pandey, who was the culture minister in the previous BSP regime.
Dr Ram Kumar Kureel, MLC and BSP co-ordinator for Varanasi-Mirzapur said, "Dhananjay's name has figured in a criminal case. He is in prison and has not been granted bail. It will be hard for him to prepare for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections."
Dhananjay was arrested in November on charges of destruction of evidence after his domestic help died at his official residence in Delhi.
As per the records at Jaunpur's Sikrara police station, Dhananjay is a history-sheeter with 25 criminal cases, including four murders registered against him in the last decade. At present, only a murder case is pending against him.
Dhananjay began his political career in 2002 by winning Rari assembly seat in Jaunpur as an Independent candidate. He won the seat again in 2007 as Janata Dal (United) candidate. Later, he joined BSP and was fielded from Jaunpur parliamentary seat, which he won.
Dhananjay's father Rajdev Singh was later elected from the same seat vacated by his son in the bye-election in 2009. He had won the Lok Sabha election from Jaunpur in 2009. In the 2012 Assembly election, Dhananjay's wife Dr Jagriti Singh contested as an independent candidate from Malhani seat in Jaunpur but lost to Parasnath Yadav of the SP.
- Indian Mujahideen operative’s trainer suspected to be same man named by Headley
- Cong won’t contest Mainpuri, Kannauj
- ‘It seems like a re-birth, I never expected to see my family again’
- Dev’s rape analogy draws widespread criticism
- Nigerian murdered by compatriot in Kondhwa society
- Pune’s TDR king lists assets worth mere Rs 4.5 crore, has no vehicle