BSP slams SP for withdrawing ex-MLA’s security ‘despite threat’

The BSP Friday said the withdrawal of security cover provided to former MLA Sarvesh Kumar Singh alias Seepu, after the Samajwadi Party came to power, made it easy for the criminals to attack him.

Talking to reporters, Leader of Opposition Swami Prasad Maurya said attempts to kill Sarvesh were made earlier as well and he was provided security during the BSP regime. However, after the formation of the SP government, his security was withdrawn even as threat to his life existed, Maurya said.

Maurya said Sarvesh had been in the SP for long before joining the BSP, and the SP leaders knew well that there was a threat to his life.

Maurya said security of most BSP MLAs and former ministers were withdrawn by the SP government without any assessment of threat perceptions.

Targeting the state government for "failing to control the criminals in the state", Maurya said when public representatives were not secure, the condition of common man could be easily understood.

Maurya said the police, instead of showing restraint in handling the situation, opened fire at the people agitating after Sarvesh's killing.

He said the SP and other senior police officers reached there only after he talked to Additional DG (Law and Order), adding said the of firing should be inquired into.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.