Buddha corners Didi over crime against women, development
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
Former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Wednesday tried to corner the Trinamool Congress government over the issue of crime against women and development in the state.
"We have never witnessed such atrocities against women. Not a week has passed by when we did not hear about sexual violence. From Katwa to Kamduni to Madhygram, women of all age groups have been victims. And everytime the aggrieved is being silenced, either by musclemen or money. Nobody is being punished. The system of meting out justice has ceased to exist,'' he rued.
The former chief minister also alleged that all development work in the state had come to a standstill. "There has been no new college, no new university, no new hospital, and no new factory. All we have got are festivals and blatant lies,'' Bhattacharjee said.
Gautam Deb, secretary of the party's North 24 Parganas district committee, who organised the rally, accused Mamata of indulging in corruption. "She is involved in the trident light scam (of KMC). She wears chappals and is projected as symbol of honesty but we believe that has become a big joke. Why does she not give us an account of money she got from selling the paintings ,'' Deb said.
Buddha is blind, says TMC