Building collapse: Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar says guilty won't be spared

ParikarGoa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar. (PTI)

Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Saturday assured of stringent action against the builder and municipal officers concerned in connection with the collapse of an under-construction building at Canacona near here.

At least 40 people were feared trapped under the debris, even as eye-witnesses claimed that rescue workers have pulled out six bodies.

However, no official confirmation on this has been received so far.

"Police have filed an FIR against the builder and municipal officials concerned who had sanctioned the building," the Chief Minister said.

More than 50 workers were on the site when the mishap occurred around 3 PM.

Parrikar, who was near Canacona to attend the state-sponsored folklore festival, rushed to the site.

Subsequently, the government announced cancellation of the event.

"Current priority is to rescue people trapped under the rubble and the government has also taken help of Army to clear the debris," Parikkar said.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.