Building collapse kills 10
- Kejriwal's detention in Modi land sparks violent clashes between BJP, AAP in three states
- India goes to poll in 9 phases from April 7 to May 12; vote count on May 16
- Mumbai dailies laud Kamat, he denies he paid for the ânewsâ
- Congress bends, âopen to TRS allianceâ
- Mamata Banerjee releases candidates list for LS polls, lists out celebs and statistics
Ten people, including one child and two women, were killed and 11 others injured when an under-construction building collapsed in Saidutt Nagar area (Tajlai Pathar) of Dhankawadi around 2 pm on Monday.
Other than the child, all other victims are construction labourers. Police said one person is feared trapped under the debris. Pune Municipal Corporation spokesperson said the building was illegal as did not have authorisation.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Zone II) Ramnath Pokale said till late evening 10 bodies were taken out and injured were admitted to various hospitals. He said, "A criminal offence has been registered at the Sahakarnagar police station against Sanjay Nande and Lahoo Sawant under Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 337 and 338 of the IPC. Nande and Sawant were jointly constructing the collapsed building. No one has yet been arrested, but both of them will be arrested. Statements of civic officials are also being recorded." He said rescue work by NDRF and Fire Brigade was on till night.
PMC fire brigade chief Prashant Ranpise said they rescued 16 persons from the debris. "Of the 11 injured, six are serious. The injured include four women, four children and three men." While PMC said it was a three-storey building, a local corporator said construction of the fifth floor was under way.
After nearly three-hour search operation, PMC fire brigade officials pulled out two children (aged 5, 7 years). Two of them — Namrata Kamble and Sayali Kamble — are sisters. Their elder sister Naina (12) is still trapped under the debris, police said.
The three along with their parents were staying in one room which was given to the family on rent by the builder. The children had returned home from school around 1 pm and were apparently having lunch when the building caved in all of a sudden.
- New police chief says smooth polls his top priority for now
- Battleground ready, tough fight on cards in Pune
- Gadkari visits PU for cultural event, crowd gets out of control
- Govt vehicle hits two visually impaired students
- Ecclestone rules out Indian GP in 2015
- Captain Vidic abandons sinking ship at Manchester United, to sign for Inter Milan