Bukhari 'nominee' removed from top UPPCB job
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Malaysian Airlines MH370: 4 questions about missing plane answered
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RCB vs MI: MI struggle to 115/9 against RCB
The Akhilesh Yadav government has removed Waseem Ahmad Khan, Chairman of the UP Pollution Control Board (UPPCB), who was appointed on the recommendation of Syed Ahmad Bukhari, the Iman of Delhi's Jama Masjid, in May last year.
UPPCB secretary J S Yadav confirmed that Khan has been removed and the charge of chairman given to Principal Secretary of Forests.
Khan has now been appointed Chairman of Civil Defence Council.
An indication of the impending action came earlier in the day, when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Hukum Singh moved an adjournment notice in the state assembly over illegal slaughter of milch animals.
Replying to it, Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Azam Khan said that the situation is very serious.
"We are trying our best. All slaughter houses have been equipped with CCTVs. But still they are slaughtering more than the stipulated number of animals. We understand that the role of UPPCB officials is also not fair. But a decision regarding UPPCB has been taken by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, it will be intimated soon," Azam Khan said.
Since the beginning, Azam Khan has opposed Imam Bukhari's involvement in party affairs.
Bukhari's son-in-law Umar Ali Khan has been made an MLC by the Samajwadi Party.