Bukhari 'nominee' removed from top UPPCB job
- Cong makes public Raje's signed document backing Lalit Modi, asks govt to sack her
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal announces run for US presidential elections 2016
- Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde accused of Rs 206 crore 'scam'
- Smriti Irani in dock over fake degree; Congress, AAP demand her sacking
- All above the age of 75 in BJP declared brain dead by Modi: Yashwant Sinha
The Akhilesh Yadav government has removed Waseem Ahmad Khan, Chairman of the UP Pollution Control Board (UPPCB), who was appointed on the recommendation of Syed Ahmad Bukhari, the Iman of Delhi's Jama Masjid, in May last year.
UPPCB secretary J S Yadav confirmed that Khan has been removed and the charge of chairman given to Principal Secretary of Forests.
Khan has now been appointed Chairman of Civil Defence Council.
An indication of the impending action came earlier in the day, when Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Hukum Singh moved an adjournment notice in the state assembly over illegal slaughter of milch animals.
Replying to it, Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Azam Khan said that the situation is very serious.
"We are trying our best. All slaughter houses have been equipped with CCTVs. But still they are slaughtering more than the stipulated number of animals. We understand that the role of UPPCB officials is also not fair. But a decision regarding UPPCB has been taken by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, it will be intimated soon," Azam Khan said.
Since the beginning, Azam Khan has opposed Imam Bukhari's involvement in party affairs.
Bukhari's son-in-law Umar Ali Khan has been made an MLC by the Samajwadi Party.