Bullets killed three, establish Bharatpur autopsy reports
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Three of the nine people killed in clashes between Gurjjars and Meo Muslims in Gopalgarh in Bharatpur died of bullet injuries. Post mortem reports released today have also determined that five died of injuries from sharp weapons.
While no case has been registered against police personnel so far, the entire staff of the Gopalgarh police station was transferred today.
DGP H C Meena told The Indian Express, "Of the nine dead, two were clearly killed by bullet injuries, while what looks like a rifle wound killed the third. The remaining five were killed by sharp instruments and mob violence." Meena said it was unclear whether police bullets killed the three.
Gurjjars and Meos clashed in Gopalgarh on September 14. The riot left nine dead and at least 23 injured.
According to police, none of the dead was a native of Gopalgarh, where the incident occurred. They were from nearby villages.
Sources in the Bharatpur district administration said families of four of the deceased had claimed the bodies and performed their last rites on Thursday evening. The remaining bodies have been kept in the mortuary.
Senior government officials said the post mortem report would weigh in favour of the government as there have been allegations that all victims died from police gunshot wounds. A People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) report stated that eyewitnesses told them that no death had occurred until the police arrived and opened fire.