Shilpa Shetty in CWG controversy
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
The last Common Wealth Games which took places in India had created its share of controversy. Though the litigation on the alleged corrupt malpractices that came to light later is still ongoing, there was a new development on Monday. A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case said two of the accused promoters had paid Rs. 71.73 lakhs for actor Shilpa Shetty's performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfill the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
It is learnt that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, PD Arya and AK Madan, representing Swiss Timing, which was awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
Further it was stated that both the accused were associated with the CWG Youth Games 2008 and had paid Rs. 71,73,950 at Kalmadi's instance through cheque on October 30, 2008 to Wizcraft International Entertainment Pvt Ltd for Shetty's performance.