Shilpa Shetty in CWG controversy
- Zero-tolerance towards communal violence, must act: Centre to states
- Varanasi: Violence breaks out during protest march, vehicles set ablaze
- Germany our natural partner, says Modi after meeting Merkel; 18 MoUs inked to boost trade
- Why the BJP finds itself in a spot before Gujarat local body polls
- Supreme Court suspends beef ban in Jammu & Kashmir for two months
The last Common Wealth Games which took places in India had created its share of controversy. Though the litigation on the alleged corrupt malpractices that came to light later is still ongoing, there was a new development on Monday. A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case said two of the accused promoters had paid Rs. 71.73 lakhs for actor Shilpa Shetty's performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfill the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
It is learnt that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, PD Arya and AK Madan, representing Swiss Timing, which was awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".