Shilpa Shetty in CWG controversy
- India's future cannot exist without the future of Kashmir: Rajnath Singh
- Will appoint nodal officer to help Kashmiri youth across the country: Rajnath Singh in Srinagar
- Dec 16 Delhi gangrape case: Convict attempts suicide inside Tihar Jail, rushed to hospital
- Earthquake in Italy kills 247, toll may rise as rescuers continue hunt for survivors
- Rahul Gandhi twisting statement, must show generosity, apologise: RSS
The last Common Wealth Games which took places in India had created its share of controversy. Though the litigation on the alleged corrupt malpractices that came to light later is still ongoing, there was a new development on Monday. A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case said two of the accused promoters had paid Rs. 71.73 lakhs for actor Shilpa Shetty's performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfill the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
It is learnt that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, PD Arya and AK Madan, representing Swiss Timing, which was awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within
- Anger of Irom Sharmila’s supporters should not be dismissed as selfishness or cynicism
- You keep the cow’s tail: A post card from Una, Gujarat, August 15
- History shows why Balochistan is not an internal matter of Pakistan
- The use of technology will be key to making GST a success
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully