Shilpa Shetty in CWG controversy
- LIVE: Rajya Sabha elections underway, Suresh Prabhu, Kapil Sibal, Ram Jethmalani in fray
- India, Pakistan should work on stengthening ties on security front: US
- Warmth in US doesn’t mean chill in China: India
- Udta Punjab row: Your job is to certify, not censor, Bombay HC tells board
- Mexico mass murder: 11 members of a family shot to death
The last Common Wealth Games which took places in India had created its share of controversy. Though the litigation on the alleged corrupt malpractices that came to light later is still ongoing, there was a new development on Monday. A Delhi court dealing with a CWG related corruption case said two of the accused promoters had paid Rs. 71.73 lakhs for actor Shilpa Shetty's performance in the closing ceremony of 2008 CWG Youth Games at Pune "merely to fulfill the last moment wish" of Suresh Kalmadi.
It is learnt that promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, PD Arya and AK Madan, representing Swiss Timing, which was awarded the contract to install Timing, Scoring and Results (TSR) system for the 2010 CWG at inflated rates, had paid the money which was "arranged beyond the scope of work".
- It's good that Rajan has cleared some of the mist and myth surrounding the GDP numbers
- Only reason why majority of govt schools have abysmal standards is because of bad policies
- When Nehru became PM, Americans presumed that as a democracy India would be in their camp
- It's achhe din for top lawyers in the Congress party
- Debate on Rajan’s reappointment is welcome as long as it is on performance
- In Assam, strategy of polarisation has brought electoral fruit to BJP