- What signal is Obama administration sending by selling more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Make in India Week' in Mumbai
- JNU student leader held on ‘sedition’ charges over Afzal Guru event
- JNU arrests over Afzal Guru event are ill-judged, threatens basic rights
- Live updates from the David Headley deposition before Mumbai court
Jiang Zemin's "Three Represents" refers to the importance of the CPC using advanced forces of production, embracing an advanced political culture and representing the interests of all sections of society, including China's new capitalists. This was inscribed into the party constitution in 2002.
"Scientific Development", the theoretical offering from Hu Jintao, now gets that distinction and preserves the political legacy of the outgoing leader.
It is about addressing the new challenges of development in a scientific manner, ensuring sustainability amidst environmental problems and building a harmonious society that can overcome emerging internal political and social tensions.
By the end of his 10-year tenure, if all goes well, Xi Jinping will have his own theory that would be inserted into the CPC constitution. But right now his focus is on removing the poison of "leftism" from China's body-politic.
The writer is distinguished fellow, Observer Research Foundation, Delhi and contributing editor for 'The Indian Express'