Business confidential: GST panels and Jaspal Bhatti’s Flop Show
- Elections LIVE: Jaswant Singh pained but not quitting BJP, to file nomination from Barmer
- Government to set up a national women's varsity in Sonia Gandhi's Rae Bareli
- Search for MH370 LIVE: Planes and ships scramble to find debris in the ocean to determine location of the missing jet
- A Fallen Stock: Markets were Jignesh Shah's passion but luck ran out for the engineer
- The Namo Rath: Playing near them, 54-inch Narendra Modi
GST panels and Jaspal Bhatti's Flop Show
Two missed deadlines and several committees later, the proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST) has become the butt of the joke not only amongst officials and journalists, but also amongst the ministers involved in the exercise. When a journalist asked a state finance minister about the developments of the recent meeting between finance minister P Chidambaram and the empowered committee of state finance ministers on GST, he invoked the late satirical humourist Jaspal Bhatti's Flop Show and quipped — "Hona kya hai, do aur committee ban gayi hal nikalne ke liye". He was referring to the sitcom's episode which shows the government bureaucrats appointing countless committees for taking even the smallest of decisions.
Some ideas in a box please
The government may not always be welcome to ideas from outside, but civil aviation minister Ajit Singh has decided to change things around a bit. Singh has put up an ideation box just outside his office at the Rajiv Gandhi Bhawan and anyone who has an idea can put it in the box. While the impact of the box remains to be seen, at least the idea has begun.
Power gets fresh energy
New power minister Jyotiraditya Scindia has kicked-off a whirlwind round-up session with all the CPSUs under his charge. NTPC, NHPC and Power Grid Corporation are among the ones that have been asked to offer presentations. Insiders in the ministry and those in the utilities are reportedly impressed by the young minister's energetic interventions in these sessions. A fresh lease of perspective, they say, is desperately required in a ministry that has, for long, been headed by non-performers.
- Mamata slams Cong, BJP for passing Telangana Bill
- Mollah calls for Muslim-Dalit ‘Maha Jot’ to defeat Left, TMC
- Didi releases party manifestos, reflects ‘national ambition’
- Rs 700-crore hawala racket busted, Surat trader’s home, office raided
- Just a click away, one stop data on over 10 lakh criminals
- The age of individualism