Businessman fakes own kidnapping, demands Rs 1 crore from brother
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- For hate speech, EC orders UP not to let Amit Shah, Azam campaign
A 36-year-old businessman and his brother-in-law were arrested on Thursday for allegedly faking the former's kidnapping. The duo had also demanded Rs 1 crore from his younger brother in Kalyan.
In the wee hours of Thursday, businessman Piyush Patel allegedly called his brother Pritesh (34), who runs a gas agency, and told him that he had been kidnapped by one Salimbhai and taken to an undisclosed location. The purported kidnapper — Piyush's brother-in-law Vijay Patel — then spoke to Pritesh and demanded Rs 1 crore.
Pritesh approached the Bazaarpeth police station in Kalyan West where a case of kidnapping was registered. Senior officers of the Thane Police swung into action and teams were formed to find Piyush. Police also examined the calls he made from his mobile phone that day and text messages he had sent. His parents, wife, relatives and friends were called to the police station and their statements recorded, but no leads were found. After questioning his business partners and exmaining his financial background, the police became suspicious of Piyush's story.
Meanwhile, Vijay learnt that police were suspecting Piyush and fled from his Dahisar home, an officer said. After consulting Piyush, he told the police in Virar and Thane that four goons had loaded him into a black Scorpio and taken him to Kanheri caves. When the police reached the spot, they did not find any sign of Vijay's alleged kidnappers.
On interrogation, Vijay confessed that he and Piyush had finalised a deal for a plot worth Rs 20 lakh with their friend Girish, but had no means to pay for it. To raise the funds, they allegedly plotted and faked the kidnapping. The two were then arrested.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit