Buzzwords of 2012: GAAR to lobbying; Libor to fiscal cliff
- Pravin Togadia under fire over hate-speech, RSS says comments fabricated
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP blocked Telangana Bill in Parliament, says Rahul Gandhi
In the banking space, the NPAs was the buzzword, while the companies making losses tried to give it a positive spin by calling them 'negative profits', and fall in their business as 'negative growth' rather than a simple 'decline'.
For UB Group Chief Vijay Mallya, Kingfisher was working on a 'holding pattern', when the airline was actually on the brink of being grounded. In aviation parlance, 'holding pattern' is used to describe the multiple 360-degree turns made by the pilot while waiting to land his or her aircraft.
Despite their complex meanings, most of these terms and phrases became 'new normal', which itself was coined a couple of years ago as a purely economic buzzword and has now been used in the name of a popular sitcom in the
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota