Cabinet okays homes for sex workers, their daughters
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The state government has decided to start two new homes — one for sex workers who have become old and quit the profession and the other for their daughters who want their children to join the mainstream.
While the first home will accommodate 100 elderly sex workers , the second one, for their daughters, will house 50 girls. The state government will see to it that the girls not only get food and lodging but proper education as well. The proposal was Monday cleared by the state cabinet that met with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in the chair.
At the Cabinet meeting, the government also cleared the proposal to set up a West Bengal State Police Housing Corporation that will arrange for housing complexes for personnel of both the Kolkata police and the state police.
"The project will benefit policemen of the ranks of SI, ASI and constables. While the government will provide free land, the corporation, with money from banks and other financial institutions, will construct the complexes where the police personnel will be provided with ownership flats measuring about 700 sq ft," Subrata Mukherjee, minister for panchayats, told the media.