Cakes all the rage on Valentine’s day
- L-G expresses disappointment over Kejriwal's remark on PM, says will clear Swati Maliwal as DCW chief
- Bombay HC grants anticipatory bail to Teesta Setalvad after CBI rejects plea
- Union Agriculture Minister lists 'love affairs, impotency' as causes for farmer suicides
- Asaram witness murder case: UP govt recommends CBI probe in Akhil Gupta's death
- Haryana Health Minister catches CID man 'spying' on his office, threatens to resign
Couples are celebrating this Valentine's Day with a twist, instead of spending thousands on expensive gifts and teddy bears, customised cakes made according to their choice of design and flavour have become all the rage. Cakes ranging from Rs 3,000 to Rs 11,000 are in demand and one can get anything from a basket of roses to a photograph of your beloved embossed on the cake.
Harjinder Singh Kukreja, from famous bakery Hot Breads, told Ludhiana Newsline, "Customised cakes are all the rage this year. What customers are demanding is edible masterpieces which tastes and looks equally good. Our Valentine cakes collection starts from Rs 500 but goes up to Rs 11,000 and even more."
"One customer gifted his girlfriend a cake with the replica of her french bulldog," he added.
However, sale of gift items has went down. Gurjit Singh from an Archies store, said: "Response is lukewarm compared to last year. However, unmarried and young couples are showing interest and buying expensive items. A teddy bear with LED lights and music is a new item. Huge teddies with swaroski stones costing Rs 11,000 are too selling but in less numbers."
"Expensive wrist watches up to Rs 11,000 are also selling but response to gift items is low as compared to 2012," said Mandeep from Mandeep Store, a hub of valentine gifts in city.
Police nodal officer Bhupinder Singh Sidhu said, "Security will be beefed up till late night on February 14 in markets to avoid hooliganism and eve-teasing. Sarabha Nagar market will be paid special attention."
The BJP has announced that it will celebrate Valentine's Day by paying tributes at Bhagat Singh Memorial statues at Jagraon Bridge on February 14.