Call of Peace
- PM Modi's 'strategic restraint' choice: A virtue or a necessity?
- PM to people of Pak: Let’s go to war against unemployment, poverty... let’s see who wins
- Uri attack: Odia BSF jawan succumbs to injuries, death toll rises to 19
- Rain havoc in Telangana: Death toll rises to 8 in Medak
- Kashmir: Curfew imposed in Kishtwar following arrest of 3 charged with sedition
The Shree Hari Hara Bhajan Samajam is conducting the maharudram and rudra homam to pray for the universal welfare of mankind
The Rigveda describes the maharudram and the rudra homam as chants that are used to invoke Lord Shiva as the universal supreme force that wipes out all troubles. This ritual has been performed twice before in 1991 and 2006 by the Shree Hari Hara Bhajan Samajam. It will be conducted for the third time this month, from March 6 - 11 at the Samajam's Ganapathy temple, Rasta Peth.
The Kaivalya Upanishad mentions that the rudra japam is able to wipe out all the sins of mankind and it acts as a means of penance. Explaining more about the maharudram, secretary of the Shree Hari Hara Bhajan Samajam, AS Nagaraja Sarma, says, "When 22 pandits chant the rudram 11 times for six days continuously, it is called a maharudram. This is accompanied by the chanting of another hymn 'Chamakam' in chorus." The event will be attended by 200-300 devotees during the weekdays while on the weekend the numbers are expected to go over 500, says Sarma.
The first maharudram in 1991 was held under the guidance of the late Sri Radhakrishna Sastrigal and in 2006 under Adayapalam Br Sri AV Subramania Deekshadar. This year it will be held under the guidance of Ved Pandit Sengali Puram Br Sri N Vaithya Natha Deekshathar. The morning session will be held from 7 am to 1 pm while the evening programme will go on from 6-8 pm.
Sarma mentions that the entire programme is being organised at the cost of Rs four lakhs. "The money has been obtained from donations by devotees. This temple too has been built through donations," he says, adding, "Everyone is invited to come attend the event. On the last day of the programme, we will distribute food to all the devotees who come to the temple." The programmes that will be held in addition to the maharudram include the Dhampathi Puja, Rudra Vidhana Puja and the Sri Maha Ganapathy Homam.
- Loud jingoism and war talk erode India’s credibility
- Phenomenon of the non-academic VC is part of a wider crisis of the university
- PM Modi must recognise Pakistan’s gameplan, and respond at a time and place of India’s choosing
- The government has failed to provide the right incentives to farmers
- The advent of the Fadnavis government in Maharashtra Marathas’ political hegemony
- Across the aisle: In search of a Pakistan policy