Canara Bank to pay Rs 25K for debiting excess amount from a/c
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Canara Bank has been directed by a consumer forum here to pay Rs 25,000 as compensation to one of its ex-employees for debiting excess amount from his account towards interest of a housing loan taken by him.
The South II District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum observed that as per the records placed before it, an excess amount of Rs 2,228 was debited from the bank account of the borrower and the amount was refunded by the bank only after
filing the complaint.
"The bank checked its system and refunded the said amount on September 17, 2012 after filing of this complaint. We hold it deficient in service.
"We, therefore, direct the bank to pay Rs 20,000 as compensation for harassment... We further direct it to pay a sum of Rs 5,000 as cost of litigation," the bench presided by M C Mehra said.
The complainant, R D Bhargava, an ex-employee of Canara Bank had said in his plea that he had fully repaid the housing loan taken by him but the bank had debited an excess amount of Rs 2,228 from his account towards interest and had also demanded Rs 7,000 as amount overdue.
The bank had refused to issue him a no dues certificate till he paid the amount demanded, Bhargava had alleged.
The bank had been proceeded against ex-parte and its counsel had appeared before the forum at the time of final arguments when it had handed over the excess amount debited from Bhargava's account.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'