Cancer wake-up call in Punjab
- AAP hands over Rs 10 lakh to family of Gajendra Singh, family demands memorial, jobs
- UP tells SC that prosecution on boy for post against Azam Khan will continue
- Uttarakhand CM says Rahul Kedarnath trek shows the way for Char Dham pilgrims
- At protest on net neutrality, Congress asks Centre to stop TRAI move
- Latest drone deaths a reminder of risk of 'deadly mistakes'
"Multiple factors were responsible for significantly higher prevalence of cancer cases in Talwandi Sabo; therefore, a multi-pronged strategy to discourage the indiscriminate use of pesticides, tobacco and alcohol needs to be adopted," stated the 2008 study.
Among Malwa's districts, the latest study found Muktsar with 136.3 cancer cases per lakh, followed by Mansa, Bathinda and Ferozepur. Deaths too were highest in Muktsar, followed by Moga. Of suspected cases, the number of people showing symptoms was the highest in Moga, followed by Sangrur, Muktsar and Ferozepur.
In Doaba, incidence was highest in Kapurthala (99.1 per lakh), followed by Jalandhar and Hoshiapur. Deaths were highest in Jalandhar, followed by Kapurthala and Hoshiarpur, and suspected cases highest in Jalandhar, followed by Kapurthala.
In Majha, Amritsar had the highest incidence (81.2 per lakh) as well as deaths, while Tarn Taran had the most suspected cases.
The survey involved 40,000 field workers in an effort coordinated by 88, 800 and 4,000 people respectively at state, district and block levels.