Captainís heroic stand puts India back in game ó and critics out of it for now
- Two IPL ex-champs, CSK and RR, kicked out in biggest clean-up
- Why the historic Iran nuclear deal could be good for India
- Death toll in Andhra stampede touches 25; PM Modi pays condolences
- Geelani rejects Pak High Commission's invite for Eid Milan
- In search for missing Dornier, Coast Guard discovers human remains, aircraft parts
Like on another famous occasion ó the World Cup final ó Dhoni batted higher than he usually does. While it had worked like a blessing during the few times he did so in one-day cricket, this was his first such attempt in Tests. And what an attempt it was. Along with Test novice Kohli, grafter Dhoni played out 56 balls to stem the haemorrhage yesterday. Today, they made the opposition bleed. Together, they faced 451 balls.
Until Saturday, the most balls that Dhoni had ever faced in a Test innings was 187 ó against South Africa in Kolkata. Back then too, in 2010, India were on the brink of a Test series loss. It brought the best out of Dhoni, India squared the series. In fact, Dhoni had batted more than 150 balls in an innings on just eight occasions in the past. India did not lose any of them.