Car driver beats railway gateman, causes chaos
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
An unidentified Innova car driver caused inconvenience to hundreds of commuters after he beat the railway gateman near Shastri Nagar rail crossing on Friday.
The incident happened about 1 pm when Ludhiana-Ferozepur train was to cross and the gateman was closing the gate. However, the driver of the car (PD10 DE0454) tried to cross the gate while it was being pulled down, but the gateman did not stop for him, and the gate banged on the bonut of the car and caused scratches. The errant car driver came out and started beating the gateman for damaging his car while he himself was at fault.
This led to chaos at the rail crossing, and the staff at the crossing immediately informed the General Railway Police which reached the spot and took the car in their custody.
While the driver sped away from the spot, the Ludhiana-Ferozepur train got late by 40 minutes as a mob had come on rail tracks. This caused harassment to hundreds of commuters standing on different rail crossings near bus stand, Pakhowal Road, BRS Nagar and many other locations.
Inquiry officer from General Railway Police Yashwant Singh said, "We have booked the unidentified car driver as he ran from the spot. So far he has not come forward, but we will trace him soon. Traffic violations will not be tolerated."
Even in the past, scooter drivers had broken one side of the rail crossing as they continued crossing the railway line while the gate was being pulled down.
Singh said, "Though people complain of unmanned rail crossings, when we man them, they break the rules."