Car sales in India down 12.45% in January, motorcycle sales up 7.45%
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
Car sales in India declined by 12.45 per cent to 1,73,420 units in January this year compared to 1,98,079 units in the same month of 2012. According to the data released by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), motorcycle sales in last month grew by 7.45 per cent to 8,86,527 units from 8,25,050 units in the same month previous year.
Total two-wheeler sales in January 2013 increased by 8.46 per cent to 12,06,937 units from 11,12,767 units in the same period of previous year.
Total sales of commercial vehicles declined by 9.51 per cent to 63,218 units from 69,865 units in the year-ago period, SIAM said.
Total sale of vehicles across categories registered a growth of 5.31 per cent to 15,61,104 units in January 2013 as against 14,82,437 units in the same month of 2012, it added.
India Jan car sales fall 12.5 pct y/y
(Reuters): Car sales in India fell an annual 12.5 per cent in January, the third consecutive slide and the fifth in sixth months, an industry lobby group said on Monday, as sales of cars in a once-booming market head for their worst growth in nine years.
Automakers sold 173,420 cars in India last month, according to data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
Sales of motorcycles rose 7.5 percent in January to 886,527 vehicles, SIAM said.
Truck and bus sales were 63,218 vehicles during the month, down 9.5 percent.