Cargill Foods to acquire Marico sunflower oil biz
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
FMCG major Cargill Foods India has finally emerged as the winner in the race to acquire Marico's refined sunflower oil brand Sweekar for an undisclosed sum. The scope of the acquisition is limited to the product brand only. Lazard India acted as the sole financial advisor for Cargill in the acquisition. At present, Cargill India produces and markets sunflower oil locally under its NatureFresh and Gemini brands.
Announcing the news, Siraj Chaudhry, chairman of Cargill India said this acquisition not only strengthens Cargill's existing portfolio of leading edible oil consumer brands but also expands its market reach in India's premium sunflower oil market. "We will build on Sweekar's strong brand heritage. Acquiring the Sweekar brand underscores Cargill's long-term commitment to growing our consumer food business in India. Sweekar is a good fit with our existing strong brand portfolio of healthy and low absorption oils," he said.
Incidentally, Marico's refined oil brand was on the block for quite some time and Emami was the front runner to acquire this brand to extend its product portfolio in India."Sweekar contributed around 5% to Marico's sales and had wafer thin margins. Divesting of thin margin business is positive for Marico as it would lead to more focused approach on core categories," said an analyst based in Mumbai. Currently, Cargill India originates, refines, and markets edible oils and fats to cater to the needs of food manufacturers, food service companies and consumers in India
While announcing the divestment plans of its refined sunflower oil brand Sweekar to CargillI India, the Marico Group said the transaction for an undisclosed consideration envisages an assignment of the Sweekar trademark and copyrights from Marico to Cargill. The transaction takes immediate effect. Saugata Gupta, CEO of Marico's consumer products business said, "In recent years, we have chosen Saffola as our wellness platform vehicle in the refined edible oils and health foods space. In our focused journey of sustainable profitable growth, therefore, we s that Sweekar has limited fitment in Marico's portfolio."
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?