Cargo aircraft catches fire, runway blocked for 3 hours
- Elections 2014 LIVE: It's official, Arvind Kejriwal to contest against Narendra Modi from Varanasi
- Sealed envelope contains 'serious allegations', Srinivasan must step down for fair probe, says SC
- After eggs, ink thrown at Arvind Kejriwal in Varansi
- Rajnath Singh counters Sushma Swaraj, says decision on Jaswant Singh taken by CEC
- IM Indian commander Tehseen Akhtar arrested, India calls it a 'huge success against terror'
The main runway at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport was blocked for about three hours Saturday after a Russian charter cargo aircraft caught fire while landing.
The secondary runway 32 was immediately activated after the closure of runway 27, ensuring other operations and flights were not affected, said a spokesperson for Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) that manages the airport.
At 12.43 pm, an airside team of MIAL noticed that the charter cargo aircraft (AN 74) had caught fire. Lot of smoke was coming out of its under carriage.
The team immediately coordinated with Air Traffic Control (ATC) and found that starboard tyre of the aircraft had burst.
ATC advised the pilot to switch off engine, activated emergency services and sought fire assistance, the MIAL spokesperson said, adding that there were no injuries or damage to cargo.
At 3.43 pm, the aircraft was towed to a stand after replacing both its tyres, he said.
- Indian Mujahideen operative’s trainer suspected to be same man named by Headley
- Cong won’t contest Mainpuri, Kannauj
- ‘It seems like a re-birth, I never expected to see my family again’
- Dev’s rape analogy draws widespread criticism
- Nigerian murdered by compatriot in Kondhwa society
- Pune’s TDR king lists assets worth mere Rs 4.5 crore, has no vehicle