Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree’s husband kills self
- Advani on Emergency: Opposition says fears valid, attacks Modi govt
- Partition was British guilt, Emergency is ours: Advani
- Suspect in Charleston church shooting arrested who killed nine people
- BJP not embarrassed by Sushma-Modi row, says Sadananda Gowda
- Kerala: Solar scam convicts get three years of imprisonment
Popular Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by jumping into a river here. The suicide comes amid the Margazhi music festival in the city in which his wife is one of the star performers.
The police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Mahadevan came in a car and jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge. The police, along with the Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel, arrived at the spot on receiving information and retrieved the body of 45-year-old Mahadevan from the river.
The reason behind Mahadevan's decision to end his life is being probed, the police added.
Mahadevan is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of Carnatic musicians, is granddaughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of Carnatic vocalists —the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and late M L Vasanthakumari.