Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree’s husband kills self
- Maharashtra: Building collapses in Thane district, several feared trapped
- Nation pays tribute to Abdul Kalam, funeral in Rameswaram on July 30
- SC bench differs on Yakub's execution, refers plea to larger bench
- 'Your indebted student': Kalam's advisor pays tribute to former President on Facebook
- Gurdaspur attack: GPS shows terror team, got drug cartel help too
Popular Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by jumping into a river here. The suicide comes amid the Margazhi music festival in the city in which his wife is one of the star performers.
The police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Mahadevan came in a car and jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge. The police, along with the Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel, arrived at the spot on receiving information and retrieved the body of 45-year-old Mahadevan from the river.
The reason behind Mahadevan's decision to end his life is being probed, the police added.
Mahadevan is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of Carnatic musicians, is granddaughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of Carnatic vocalists —the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and late M L Vasanthakumari.