Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree’s husband kills self
- As a public figure, you must learn to face criticism: SC tells Jayalalithaa in defamation case
- Rajnath Singh: Those who believe in Kashmiriyat, Insaniyat & Jamhooriyat welcome for talks
- Rohith Vemula was not a Dalit, says probe panel set up by HRD Ministry
- Scorpene Submarine: Will probe leak, says DCNS; source not from India, says Defence Ministry
- Saradha scam: ED summons Chidambaram's wife Nalini
Popular Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by jumping into a river here. The suicide comes amid the Margazhi music festival in the city in which his wife is one of the star performers.
The police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Mahadevan came in a car and jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge. The police, along with the Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel, arrived at the spot on receiving information and retrieved the body of 45-year-old Mahadevan from the river.
The reason behind Mahadevan's decision to end his life is being probed, the police added.
Mahadevan is survived by his wife and two daughters.
- Sedition law cannot be used against honest views, expressed peacefully
- India’s dependence on China for medicine ingredients is a matter of concern
- Before Balochistan, India has supported some human rights causes and ignored others
- Olympics brought many smiles — and a little bit of rancour
- Harish Gupta case involves questions about the very nature of governmental decision-making
- Tension between the executive and judiciary could play out in creative, or destructive, ways