Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree’s husband kills self
- Top General speaks on 2012 troop movement: "Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly"
- Telangana fallout: Governor accepts Reddy's resignation as Andhra Chief Minister
- Arvind Kejriwal writes to Narendra Modi on gas pricing, targest Mukesh Ambani again
- A day after Parliament passes Telangana bill, Hyderabad airport on red alert over letter threat
- Govt refuses security to IPL due to Lok Sabha polls, South Africa favourite to host 7th edition
Popular Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree's husband Mahadevan allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by jumping into a river here. The suicide comes amid the Margazhi music festival in the city in which his wife is one of the star performers.
The police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Mahadevan came in a car and jumped into the Adyar river from the Kotturpuram Bridge. The police, along with the Fire and Rescue Services Department personnel, arrived at the spot on receiving information and retrieved the body of 45-year-old Mahadevan from the river.
The reason behind Mahadevan's decision to end his life is being probed, the police added.
Mahadevan is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Nithyashree, who comes from an illustrious family of Carnatic musicians, is granddaughter of late D K Pattammal, often hailed as one of the trinity of Carnatic vocalists —the other two being late M S Subbulakshmi and late M L Vasanthakumari.