Carry pepper spray, knives, chilli: Pune top cop to women
- Yadav, Bhushan wanted party's defeat in Delhi polls, allege AAP leaders
- Chhattisgarh PDS rice scam: probe widens as police find a list with names, alleged bribes
- Land bill on table, government tells opposition willing to make changes
- His last detention against norms, red flag pre-dated Mufti govt
- Assam MLA claims he warned cops before Dimapur lynching
Pune Police chief Gulabrao Pol wants women to carry knives, chilli powder or pepper spray and use them in self-defence if attacked.
Speaking at a meet organised to discuss security of women, he suggested that initial self-defence measures should be taken by women before they call for help. "Women should carry knives, chilli powder or spray and use them in defence themselves against any man who may harass them. There is a provision in law that says a woman can attack any culprit in self-defence. Women can injure the man... raise an alarm, and call police for help," he said.
He told women not to be afraid of his force. "More than 10 per cent of the Pune police force is women. We would be deploying female cops at welcome desks of all police stations so women can easily approach police and register complaints," Pol said.