Carry pepper spray, knives, chilli: Pune top cop to women
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Pune Police chief Gulabrao Pol wants women to carry knives, chilli powder or pepper spray and use them in self-defence if attacked.
Speaking at a meet organised to discuss security of women, he suggested that initial self-defence measures should be taken by women before they call for help. "Women should carry knives, chilli powder or spray and use them in defence themselves against any man who may harass them. There is a provision in law that says a woman can attack any culprit in self-defence. Women can injure the man... raise an alarm, and call police for help," he said.
He told women not to be afraid of his force. "More than 10 per cent of the Pune police force is women. We would be deploying female cops at welcome desks of all police stations so women can easily approach police and register complaints," Pol said.