Case of rioting against Delhi BJP chief Gupta: Arguments to begin on Jan 9
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
The arguments in a case of rioting and destruction of public property against Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta and six other party leaders, during a protest at Jantar Mantar in February last year, will commence on January 9, 2013.
The court of Metropolitan Magistrate Jasjeet Kaur said this on Thursday.
The Delhi Police had chargesheeted Gupta, along with Pawan Sharma, Pravesh Verma, R P Singh, Rajeshwar Nagpal, Mahender Gupta and Shikha Rai of the BJP for inciting and leading BJP workers in rioting, unlawful assembly, obstructing public servants in discharge of their official duty and causing hurt to public servants during a protest march against price rise, corruption and other issues on February 24, last year.
Metropolitan Magistrate Jasjeet Kaur had granted bail to Gupta and six others accused in April after they furnished a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety for the like amount.
According to the chargesheet filed by the Delhi Police, Gupta and the other accused along with around 1,500 party workers had assembled at Jantar Mantar to hold a protest, despite being asked by police not to enter the nearby Parliament Street where another protest was on.
Police said the BJP workers, led by their leaders, had tried to remove police barricades and this led to a clash with the police personnel present there.
Police said the protesters also pelted stones, damaged five DTC buses, and injured the police personnel and mediapersons assembled there.
The chargesheet, filed in November last year, lists 31 witnesses, including three doctors from RML hospital, and a print journalist.