Cash payout may save Rs 20K cr subsidy bill
- Political parties can't be under RTI Act: Centre tells Supreme Court
- US stocks plunge in early trade; Dow Jones falls more than 1,000 points
- Black Monday: Sensex crashes 1,624 pts; Rs 7-lakh cr wiped out
- OROP row escalates, ex-serviceman on fast-unto-death shifted to hospital
- UN court to India: Suspend all trials against Italian marines
Partially accepting recommendations of the Kelkar committee, finance minister P Chidambaram has revised the target for fiscal deficit to 5.3 per cent and called for strict austerity measures and cuts in non plan spending by government ministries, starting with the current fiscal.