Caste main consideration as Rajasthan gets 2 more berths
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
The Cabinet reshuffle brought good news for Rajasthan with two more ministerial berths for the state, taking its tally to seven. The reshuffle is expected to help the Congress in the Assembly polls slated for next year.
Chandresh Kumari Katoch, MP from Jodhpur, was inducted into the Cabinet as Culture Minister while Lalchand Kataria, MP from Jaipur Rural, became MoS (Defence). Sachin Pilot's elevation to Minister of Company Affairs (independent charge), though an expected move, was another attempt to strengthen the party's hold in the state.
So far, Rajasthan had six ministers. With the resignation of Mahadev Khandela (MoS Tribal Affairs) and induction of Kataria and Kumari, it now has seven: Three Cabinet ministers C P Joshi (Road and Highways), Chandresh Kumari (Culture) and Anand Sharma (Textiles) and four MoS Sachin Pilot (Company Affairs), Bhanwar Jitendra Singh (Sports and Youth Affairs), Namo Narayan Meena (Finance) and Lalchand Kataria (Defence). Both Pilot and Singh have independent charge.
Five politically important castes Jats (Kataria), Brahmins (Joshi and Sharma), Meenas (Namo Narayan), Gurjars (Pilot) and Rajputs (Singh and Chandresh Kumari) have had a fair representation. However, what has left the state upset is the lack of representation of Muslims.
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- Telescope: From Fawad Khan to Kalki Koechlin, journeys to keep an eye on
- Shouldn’t weekly off day be a matter of choice, instead of being dictated by law?
- India’s search for alternatives to regional forum must quicken
- Struggle against caste system & capitalism are inextricably linked
- Power struggle within weakens Samajwadi Party already undergoing an identity crisis in UP