Cauvery protests erupt in Karna, TN
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Opposition Congress leader in the Assembly Siddaramaiah demanded that government halt release of water.
Both Houses were adjourned for the day in the wake of uproarious scenes. The Houses will meet again on Monday.
Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa said the Congress governments in the past had also released water to Tamil Nadu on court directions.
Speaking to reporters at Belgaum, former chief minister B S Yeddyurappa, who quit the BJP recently, wanted MPs to resign en masse and sit in dharna in front of Parliament till the Centre comes to Karnataka's rescue.
The apex court had on Wednesday in an interim order directed Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu, and asked the Cauvery Monitoring Committee to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
Police took more than hundred persons including Madegowda, President of the Cauvery Hitarakshana Samithi.
Members of the samithi headed by Madegowda took out a protest march and staged dharna infront of the DC office and laid a siege for nearly one hour.
Madegowda, addressing a huge gathering, criticised the BJP government for releasing water and called the government a "betrayer".
He also wanted opposition parties to move no confidence motion against government for reneging on its promise and declared the stir would continue till the BJP government was ousted. He urged the chief minister to stop the release of water otherwise the stir will be intensified in the state.
In Panduvapura, JDS workers headed by MLA C.S.Puttaraju took out a procession and condemned government's decision in releasing water.
In Gejjalagere Ryots association blocked the Bangalore Mysore road in protest of water release.
Protests were witnessed in parts of Chamarajanagar district.
The Cauvery water release issue disrupted proceedings of both Houses of the state legislature and presiding officers were forced to adjourn for the day.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'