CBI arrests Gujarat cadre IPS officer in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case
- David Headley connects the dots: Hafiz Saeed, ISI, failed Mumbai attacks
- David Headley: Travelled to India 8 times, changed name for passport
- Rs 1.14 lakh crore of bad debts: The great government bank write-off
- Caste came up in 3 suicide probes at Hyderabad University
- Uttar Pradesh has been turned into 'Islamic state': Sena mouthpiece on Ghulam Ali concert
"Singhal was arrested from his office... He was taken to the Civil Hospital for a medical check-up, and then brought to the CBI office for questioning," confirmed a CBI officer associated with the probe.
"The CBI has taken forensic loopholes under consideration... Barot and Singhal, who had shot at Ishrat's Tata Indica car from one angle, gave two different versions," said CBI sources. Singhal is expected to be produced before the special CBI court on Friday.
The CBI had earlier questioned Singhal in the Sadiq Jamal encounter case also.
The CBI is also reported to have rounded up two commandos, Anaju Chaudhary and Mohan Nanjibhai, who were working with the Crime Branch in 2004. The commandos reportedly assisted N K Amin in stopping Ishrat's vehicle.
Meanwhile, welcoming today's arrest, Javed Sheikh's father, Gopinathan Pillai, said in Thiruvananthapuram that he has "full faith in the court which has entrusted the probe to the CBI". He said "the arrest shows that we are not far from justice''.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words