CBI arrests Gujarat IPS officer in Ishrat
- Finally, the axe falls: AAP expels Prashant Bhushan, Yogendra Yadav and 2 others for ‘anti-party’ activities
- The fierce Gorkha Rifles of the Indian Army to turn 200 this week
- Venkaiah Naidu is Modi govt’s defence against Rahul Gandhi
- Two ‘Pak’ boats with heroin seized near Gujarat, 8 held
- ‘Quiet’ Ankit came to play just two overs before fatal collision
"Singhal was arrested from his office... He was taken to the Civil Hospital for a medical check-up, and then brought to the CBI office for questioning," confirmed a CBI officer associated with the probe.
"The CBI has taken forensic loopholes under consideration... Barot and Singhal, who had shot at Ishrat's Tata Indica car from one angle, gave two different versions," said CBI sources. Singhal is expected to be produced before the special CBI court on Friday.
The CBI had earlier questioned Singhal in the Sadiq Jamal encounter case also.
The CBI is also reported to have rounded up two commandos, Anaju Chaudhary and Mohan Nanjibhai, who were working with the Crime Branch in 2004. The commandos reportedly assisted N K Amin in stopping Ishrat's vehicle.
Meanwhile, welcoming today's arrest, Javed Sheikh's father, Gopinathan Pillai, said in Thiruvananthapuram that he has "full faith in the court which has entrusted the probe to the CBI". He said "the arrest shows that we are not far from justice''.
— with ENS, Thiruvananthapuram