CBI begins probe into coal block allocation charges
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
The Central Bureau of Investigation has taken a first step to probe allegations regarding the allotment of coal blocks, an issue raised by Team Anna and to which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh reacted by saying he would resign if there was "even an iota of truth" in the charges.
The CBI move comes after the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) forwarded a complaint to it filed by BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Prakash Javadekar in March. In April, the agency was asked by the CVC to submit a report within 12 weeks and register a preliminary enquiry (PE), if required. The period under scrutiny is 2006-2009, during which the portfolio was handled by the Prime Minister.