CBI probe casts shadow on own officers, agency buries report
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
The report says Kandaswamy was also found to be in touch with Ranjan between the "relevant period" of June 3-6, 2010 and that Ranjan had "developed equally close friendship" with Kandaswamy.
The CBI's special unit also advised that the "scope of the PE should also cover the aspect of any money transfer/dubious deal in the matter of giving relief to Ajay Patel". Another banker and close aide of Amit Shah, Patel is also accused of the same crime as Chudasama. Although there is no information about Patel trying to influence Thakur, the internal inquiry report suspects that similar "relief" was sought to be given to him too.
Chudasama and Patel were both officials of the Ahmedabad District Co-operative Bank.
Shenoy, in his statement, has claimed that Ranjan took Patel to make a statement before Thakur but he does not know what transpired between them.
The special unit sought "administrative action against Amitabh Thakur as his conduct has been more than dubious. The role of P Kandaswamy was also not above board as he was in touch with Rajesh Ranjan during the relevant period". It also asked for a detailed investigation into the alleged transfer of Rs 1 crore through hawala channels to Delhi.
It also listed action the CBI needed to take to clinch the probe: ascertain whether Thakur eventually got the money through hawala channels; whether Kandaswamy had knowledge of the developments/transactions; probe assets of Shenoy as he claims to have returned money after liquidating them; probe if there was unusual flow of money into accounts of Ranjan, Shenoy, Thakur and their relatives; confirm meetings between Thakur, Ranjan, Shenoy and Chudasama.
After the report was submitted, Thakur was moved to the CBI headquarters in Delhi and a few months back repatriated to his parent cadre, Orissa. Kandaswamy served in Mumbai and returned to his parent cadre, Tamil Nadu, a few months back.
- BJP to distribute Modi gulaal for Holi
- Improve facilities in courts: HC tells state
- Varanasi seat may delay BJP’s list for UP
- CPM-backed Kairali TV airs interview of author who alleged sex abuse at Amritanandamayi ashram
- Identification parade of suspects held in Yerawada Jail
- State to fine-tune boundaries in eco-sensitive areas