CBI probe team set to visit Italy soon
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Internal battle in BJP out in open: M M Joshi seeks clarity on Varanasi seat
A CBI team is slated to visit Italy within next few days in connection with the probe into the multi-crore VVIP chopper deal.
The decision was taken after the agency, during its interaction with Ministry of Defence (MoD), learnt that the information made available by the ministry is "insufficient" to initiate a probe. In its terms of reference, the MoD has only provided news clippings to the CBI.
Sources said the team which will visit Italy will also consists of senior officials from the MoD and Interpol who will coordinate with the Indian mission and Italian investigators. The agency officials said they will seek the details of investigation carried out by the Italian authorities. "The names of government officials and middlemen involved in the deal will also be verified with the Italian probe team," said a senior CBI official.
The agency also said they may register a preliminary enquiry or a case before sending the team to Italy on the preliminary information provided by the ministry. This also means that CBI may carry out raids at private companies whose names have figured in the Italian probe report.