CCS enhances financial powers for service chiefs
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
In a move that had been pending for several months, the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has given approval for a massive hike in the financial powers of the three armed forces chiefs as well as the Coast Guard Director General.
A decision has been taken to increase the financial powers of the three forces to Rs 150 crore from the existing limit of Rs 50 crore. This will give more autonomy to the forces to make urgent and critical purchases for troops. The services will now be able to purchase equipment that costs up to Rs 150 crore without seeking the approval of the Defence Ministry that involved red tape and a slew of requisite clearances.
The move is expected to have a cascading effect and the financial powers of army commanders and their equivalents is also expected to increase in the coming days. An increase in the financial powers of services has been a long pending demand that has also been endorsed by parliamentary panels.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'