Celebrating the Northeast
- India’s surgical strikes along LoC show intent to act strongly against terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls up Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror'
- PM Modi holds Cabinet Committee on Security meeting; Rajnath, Jaitley, Doval present
- Narendra Modi's review meet on MFN status to Pak postponed to next week
- Day after sharing terror information with Pakistan, NIA revises details
This weekend in the Capital is devoted to the Northeastern states with a two-day event called Cultures of Peace —Festival of the Northeast, which includes literature, art, performances and open dialogues on film and media. This isn't the first time such a festival has come to Delhi. "Back in 2011, a small literary festival was organised by Zubaan, which showcased literature from the Northeastern states. This time around, we wanted to expand and so, have included all kinds of cultural and thematic events," says Mary Therese Kurkalang, founder of Khublei, a hub of art, culture and design. The festival, organised by Khublei in collaboration with Zubaan and Heinrich Boell Foundation, was inaugurated on Friday evening.
This year, Cultures of Peace— Festival of the Northeast, is dedicated to noted Assamese writer Indira Goswami and Irom Sharmila, who has been on a fast since November 2000. A discussion on the subject — "The Northeast Identity" and a number of performances including one by Rita Gatoph and the Musical Folks from Shillong were held on the inaugural day. Today's menu includes discussions on Naga food and on film culture and censorship in Manipur, and a photo exhibition called "Portraits from the Northeast" by Vishal Sabharwal.
The festival is being held in India Habitat Centre, 10 am onwards.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment