Cement scam: MC cancels contract of builders
- Two ‘beef transporters’ forced to eat cow dung by gau rakshaks
- Intelligence picked up chatter of 8 terrorists crossing LoC in June
- Army, CRPF fought to take credit for terrorist deaths after Pampore attack
- 2008 Malegaon blasts case: Where Supreme Court and NIA differed on MCOCA against accused
- Bengaluru's first woman cab driver found dead
The Municipal Corporation on Thursday cancelled the contract of A K Sood Builders and Engineers for upgrading Sector 17 and imposed a penalty of Rs 13.84 lakh.
The decision was a fall out of the cement scam unearthed last month. The firm had sublet the contract to Sarvpriya Building Products, a fact that came to light after the UT Vigilance department nabbed a contractor pilfering 200 bags of cement from a store in Sector 17. During investigation it was revealed that A K Sood had sublet the contract to Sarvpriya Building Products and this contractor was taking the cement from the store to a factory in Barwala owned by his father.
During a House Meet in March it was decided that the two contractors be blacklisted for five years and the contracted be cancelled. It was also decided that allotment of work that already started in Sector 17 be cancelled.
The builders were issued a showcause notice on April 5 and replying to it on April 8, the contractor alleged the officials of the civic body knew the contract had been sublet and he had sought permission for the same. The officials had denied this allegation.
- The crowd that pushed for Brexit doesn't have a clue on the road ahead
- The ‘ADM Jabalpur’ judgment in the backdrop of Emergency remains a blot
- Modi govt's efforts for NSG membership are worth following
- Providing basic income guarantee to all citizens would be prohibitive
- Panikkar’s was uniquely Kerala theatre and, therefore, truly national
- Donald Trump could lead the US back to a past it had moved on from