CH 01 AR 0001: Mahant spends Rs 10.05 lakh to buy fancy number
- Dalit student suicide: Protests erupt in Hyd, Cong demands sacking of Dattatreya, Irani
- Behind Dalit student suicide: how his campus showed him the door
- SC restrains Centre from disinvesting further shares in Hindustan Zinc in favour of Vedanta
- Ganga projects: Uma Bharti objects but Prakash Javadekar rejects
- Grieving Mehbooba Mufti introduces brother to party, politics
From former cops to agriculturists to businessmen, the love for fancy registration numbers in the city continues unabated. Now add to that list the people in long robes and long locks.
At the auction for fancy registration numbers by the Registering and Licensing Authority (RLA) on Monday, the prized number, CH 01 AR 0001, went under the hammer for a whopping Rs 10.05 lakh, and it was bought by Mahant Chotu Nath of Gorakhnath Dera, Sector 19, defeating seven others in the bidding race.
The mahant, after buying the number, had a broad smile on his face. Though he did not want to share the details of his car for which he bought the number, and even refused to talk to the mediapersons who chased him, RLA officials confirmed that the number had been bought for an AUDI Q7 worth Rs 55 lakh.
Later, when again asked about his car, he claimed, "I do not have a car for the number." On being questioned further, he said, "I will use it for my residence."
Sources say he is heading the Nath sect and has magnificent deras, with thousands of followers in Haridwar, Badrinath and Abohar. According to one of his followers, he owns many SUVs and automobiles with similar single-digit numbers bought from Haryana and Punjab.
In the auction held last month which was cancelled following a poor response, the same number had fetched a mere Rs 3.51 lakh.
The second highest number during the auction held on Monday was CH 01 AR 0100 which went for Rs 4.2 lakh.
The third highest amount in the auction was fetched by CH 01 AR 0009 which went for Rs 4 lakh. There were 14 bidders for this number and the number was bought by Amandeep Kumar.
Besides, CH 01 AR 0002 went for Rs 3.5 lakh and was bought by Shashi Chaddha for Toyota Fortuner. The number 0003 went for Rs 1.77 lakh. CH 01 AR 0004 was sold for Rs 2.1 lakh and 0005 went for Rs 1.75 and was bought by Swami Devi Dyal Group of Institutes. While 0006 was bought for Rs 1.52 lakh for a Mitsubishi Montero, 0007 went for Rs 2.5 lakh. While 0008 went for Rs 2 lakh, 0010 went for Rs 1.51 lakh and was bought by Jaswant Singh for his BMW. And 0011 went for Rs 2.31 lakh.
- It is not incidental that Rohith Chakravarthi Vemula and his dissent were crushed
- Aroon Tikekar carried the rationalist legacy of 19th century Maharashtra
- Sushma Swaraj’s Israel visit: Owning a friendship
- Cuddalore rape victim story shows how little has changed
- Risk taking, experimentation and teamwork must also infect government machinery
- New mobile towers, better roads are making a difference in Bastar