Chacko beats hasty retreat after putting prime ministerial poll halo around Rahul Gandhi
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Wary of misinterpretation of his yesterday's statement, Congress spokesman P C Chacko today said the role of Rahul Gandhi in the next Lok Sabha elections will be decided by the Congress general secretary and party chief Sonia Gandhi at an appropriate time.
"The role of Rahul Gandhi will be decided by him and Congress President Sonia Gandhi at an appropriate time," Chacko said.
Chacko, while addressing a press conference yesterday, had said Rahul Gandhi will lead Congress campaign in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and take up an "important responsibility " in the party very soon.
The AICC spokesman said, "I did not mean any decision is taken in this regard when I said Rahul Gandhi will be leading the next election campaign."
He said he made the remarks in response to questions by media persons and these "should not be interpreted as any decision having been taken".
Chacko, while answering a specific question yesterday whether Rahul Gandhi will be projected as the Prime Ministerial candidate in the polls, had said the issue will come up after the elections and it was for party MPs to decide.
He had added that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will be at the helm till 2014. "This has no relation. He is the Prime Minister. This government will continue till 2014. He is the Prime Minister till 2014," Chacko had said when asked about Manmohan Singh's fate if Rahul is to be projected in the next elections.