Chakki Bank to be renamed Pathankot Cantt railway station
- Setback for Indian firms: H-1B reform bill introduced in US House of Representatives
- Budget Session live updates: Economic growth to rebound to 6.75-7.5 per cent in 2017-18
- Budget 2017: Govt committed to growth, 'sabka saath, sabka vikaas', says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Akhilesh Govt moved to bury 19 cases against political leaders
- Hafiz Lashkar Saeed put under house arrest
Chakki Bank railway station in Pathankot will be renamed Pathankot (Cantonment) Railway Station. The name change has got the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs and state revenue and rehabilitation department will issue a notification in a day or two.
The station was built by the British in 1926 and mainly served the troops station in the region and Jammu and Kashmir.
"Some 40-odd trains pass through and stop at the station both up and down in a day. For long it was demand of the local people to change the name. This was a small station and before Independence the trains terminated here. Only after Independence, the railway link to Jammu was established and trains then passed through the station," station master K D Sharma said.
Initially, it had only three rooms and later it was converted into a big station with all main and super fast trains stopping at the station.
- Trump’s economic nationalism reinforces urgency of fixing India’s land, labour markets
- Jaitley must stimulate economy, keep tax incentives, placate people post note ban
- Bending by AIADMK and BJP-led governments to vote-bank pressures in TN is regressive
- Post-demonetisation, a reversal of the slowdown would require enhanced public spending
- Government must honour practitioners of classicial art forms in their prime
- In this season of manifestoes, parties must remember that voters don’t forget