Chakki Bank to be renamed Pathankot Cantt railway station
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
Chakki Bank railway station in Pathankot will be renamed Pathankot (Cantonment) Railway Station. The name change has got the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs and state revenue and rehabilitation department will issue a notification in a day or two.
The station was built by the British in 1926 and mainly served the troops station in the region and Jammu and Kashmir.
"Some 40-odd trains pass through and stop at the station both up and down in a day. For long it was demand of the local people to change the name. This was a small station and before Independence the trains terminated here. Only after Independence, the railway link to Jammu was established and trains then passed through the station," station master K D Sharma said.
Initially, it had only three rooms and later it was converted into a big station with all main and super fast trains stopping at the station.
- The problem in Arunachal is as much about politics as about institutional norms
- The public university is becoming insecure, narrow-minded and conservative
- Building on the Jan Dhan framework, India should move from price to income support
- Haryana panchayat poll outcome does not reflect the state’s social composition
- India’s education system is terribly out of step with the times
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis