Chakki Bank to be renamed Pathankot Cantt railway station
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Chakki Bank railway station in Pathankot will be renamed Pathankot (Cantonment) Railway Station. The name change has got the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs and state revenue and rehabilitation department will issue a notification in a day or two.
The station was built by the British in 1926 and mainly served the troops station in the region and Jammu and Kashmir.
"Some 40-odd trains pass through and stop at the station both up and down in a day. For long it was demand of the local people to change the name. This was a small station and before Independence the trains terminated here. Only after Independence, the railway link to Jammu was established and trains then passed through the station," station master K D Sharma said.
Initially, it had only three rooms and later it was converted into a big station with all main and super fast trains stopping at the station.
Gurdaspur MP Partap Singh Bajwa claimed that he was instrumental in getting the name changed.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express