Chakki Bank to be renamed Pathankot Cantt railway station
- Government issues high alert, says Islamic State expanding area of terror
- Putin vows to hunt down those who bombed Russian plane in Egypt
- Mani Shankar Aiyar to Pakistan channel: Remove Modi for talks to resume
- Chittoor Mayor shot dead while trying to save husband
- Hyderabad nursery student dies after head gets stuck in school lift
Chakki Bank railway station in Pathankot will be renamed Pathankot (Cantonment) Railway Station. The name change has got the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs and state revenue and rehabilitation department will issue a notification in a day or two.
The station was built by the British in 1926 and mainly served the troops station in the region and Jammu and Kashmir.
"Some 40-odd trains pass through and stop at the station both up and down in a day. For long it was demand of the local people to change the name. This was a small station and before Independence the trains terminated here. Only after Independence, the railway link to Jammu was established and trains then passed through the station," station master K D Sharma said.
Initially, it had only three rooms and later it was converted into a big station with all main and super fast trains stopping at the station.
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia
- Surrogacy isn’t morally reprehensible, surrogates should be seen as workers
- One world, one battlefield
- With five states polling soon, the great Indian election will continue without recess
- Why Stockholm punches above its weight in innovation and entrepreneurship
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since