Chakki Bank to be renamed Pathankot Cantt railway station
- Sports court tears Narsingh Yadav defence, NADA’s credibility
- Ramya on sedition case: Will not apologise for my Pakistan remark, said nothing wrong
- I can't fight against the government or AFI, but I know the truth: OP Jaisha
- From Rajasthan to Bihar: Tracking floods in north India
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar
Chakki Bank railway station in Pathankot will be renamed Pathankot (Cantonment) Railway Station. The name change has got the approval from Ministry of Home Affairs and state revenue and rehabilitation department will issue a notification in a day or two.
The station was built by the British in 1926 and mainly served the troops station in the region and Jammu and Kashmir.
"Some 40-odd trains pass through and stop at the station both up and down in a day. For long it was demand of the local people to change the name. This was a small station and before Independence the trains terminated here. Only after Independence, the railway link to Jammu was established and trains then passed through the station," station master K D Sharma said.
Initially, it had only three rooms and later it was converted into a big station with all main and super fast trains stopping at the station.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon