Chanakya, the exit poll that got it right
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
As the performance of AAP in Delhi took most political gurus by surprise, one exit poll seems to have predicted the new party's impressive debut, and the Congress's debacle to near accurate numbers. The exit poll by 'Today's Chanakya', released on December 4, gave 31 seats to AAP +/- nine seats, with 29 +/- nine seats for BJP, and put the Congress at 10 +/- five seats. The final results of the Delhi polls on Sunday showed a 28-seat haul for AAP, 32 seats for BJP and the Congress winning only 8 seats.
Of the three other states, the political research organisation also predicted BJP's sweeping victory in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh with a projection of 147 +/- 11 and 161 +/- 11 seats, against final tally of 162 and 164 seats respectively. The agency also projected a neck-and-neck race in Chhattisgarh with a narrow lead for the BJP at 51 against 39 seats. The BJP won 49 seats and the Congress trailed at 39 in Chattisgarh.