Chandigarh carnival transports visitors to dreamland with parade, contests, music
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Narendra Modi; highlights Congress work in Uttarakhand
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
Woven around the theme 'Dreamland', the Chandigarh Carnival began with a parade of popular cartoon characters, including Mickey Mouse, Tom and Jerry and Alladin here Friday. Tableaus depicting different characters of dreamlands and floats decorated with flowers and lights had artists and children come together to participate in the music and dance parade.
Flagged off by Adviser to the Administrator, K K Sharma, the parade started from Sector 22, amidst the release of colourful balloons and beating of drums. Around twenty colorful, attractive and dominating floats, including Doremon, a sea horse, disney land fairies, fantasy eagle and a mermaid were created on rickshaws by the students of the Chandigarh College of Arts.
Cartoon cut-outs were placed aeround Leisure Valley and the day long festivities included the cultural troupe performances across various states by the NZCC as well as performances of local Punjabi artistes on the mini stage. Music was a constant in all corners, with the Sangeet Natak Academy playing songs from the golden period of Hindi films on the theme 'Old is Gold'. Prizes were given every hour for various competitions, including penning couplets and verses, captions and slogans. Additionally, a musical troupe was arranged at the valley to encourage anyone who wanted to sing.
"There are around 40 stalls and they have been set up for the visitors to get an analytical glimpse of their dreams and imaginations. The parade has something for everyone and will provide them a get-away from the routine life to one that they always dreamt of," says Tourist Officer Nirdosh Kumar.
The village has an amusement park with various swings and rides, food stalls comprising of cuisines from various states and those by Institute of Hotel Management and CITCO da veda, a mini rock garden, camel ride, Rajasthani puppet show and stalls by Children Traffic Park, Chandigarh Tourism, Lalit Kala Academy, Le Corbusier Centre, College of Arts, Home Science College and College of Architecture.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde