Chandigarh golfer Vasundhra takes lead
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
Right from the very moment when she stepped on the greens at Royal Calcutta Golf Club, Vasundhara Thiara knew how the course would play. The greens were fast and on top of that the golfers had to counter bunkers and other hazards. After all, the course was prepared keeping the professionals in mind. Before the Toyota All India juniors and sub-juniors gold championship, in which Vasundhara is taking part, the Royal Calcutta Golf Club played host to four professional tournaments- in the last tournament SSP Chowrasia was the winner. So, it was a difficult course for the junior and sub-junior players.
In Category D, where the nine-year-old from Chandigarh competes, Vasundhara played well on the fast and difficult greens and took lead on the first day with a 23-over. She pushed Tanishka, who was one stroke behind, to the second spot.
"The front nine didn't go well but she got her act right and played really well in the back nine which pulled her back into the game. It was really important to take the lead as it helps psychologically and boosts the morale also," informed her father, Ajay Thiara.
Before coming into this tournament, Vasundhara had taken part in the IGU tournaments at Pune and Bombay where she finished third in both the events. So, taking the lead from the very first day had certainly put her in a good frame of mind to win the last tournament of the season. "Tanishka, who is Number 1 in the Category D rankings, is trailing Vasundhara by one stroke and although Vasundhara is two years younger to her, she is playing really well," added Ajay. No matter what the results are, Vasundhara will finish as Number 2 in the IGU Rankings in Category D.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it