- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
* This refers to 'Green Cover' (IE, November 28). It is difficult to understand how the pollution level will go down by merely taxing diesel cars. The owners of diesel cars tend to be well-off, and paying an additional tax is no problem for them. Diesel cars will remain on the roads and continue to pollute the air.
— S.K. Kapoor
* APROPOS Arun Jaitley's 'Why not vote on FDI in retail' (IE, November 27), do the proponents of FDI realise that it is not an altruistic act but a profit-generating reform? The UPA government plans to concede 50 per cent ownership in retail and 49 per cent in insurance and banking, which might harm indigenous industries. The benefit to the farm sector seems to be a myth, as prices are governed by supply and demand. And if the middleman is making extra profit, why can't the government attempt to regulate this?
— M.M.P. Kala
The aam aadmi
* WITH reference to 'Fruit ninja' (IE, November 27), in spite of associating itself with the aam aadmi for a long time, the Congress seemed unable to live up to his expectations. Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party vows to bring the common man into mainstream politics and effect changes that he wants.
— Anchit Mathur
* IT IS disheartening to hear that Abdul Hakim, who spoke against the khap panchayats in Aamir Khan's Satyamev Jayate, was killed ('Man who appeared on Aamir Khan's khap show shot, wife says it's honour killing', IE, November 28). This raises a question: do people have the right to speak against social ills? The government should take severe action against khaps that impose regressive ideas.
— Ishmit Oberoi
Two of a kind
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today